Shopify Vs Etsy: Which Is Better? (2021)
Find out whether to pick Shopify Or Etsy!
E-commerce has taken over the market in recent times. You can find almost every conventional store with a website but not all online stores with the physical presence. Amazon is one such example. More businesses than ever are going online nowadays.
If you are deciding to start an online business, then the chances are that you will be confused to choose the best online platform. There are many options you can choose from, but the question is that if you want to sell on your online store or an online marketplace.
As a budding entrepreneur, you may get confused between Shopify and Etsy. Both are popular platforms for shoppers to shop.
Shopify came to existence in 2004. It is a platform that helps you to create your online store. Shopify comes with many tools to help you to run your online store smoothly. These tools can also help you present your products to the customers, construct your brand, and promote your store. It allows you to function with different software. It improves the functionality of your store. Plus, it is suitable for large and small businesses. It has users from around the globe and has crossed over billions of transactions.
Etsy is an online marketplace that allows you to enlist your product along with the products of other sellers. Due to the presence of various sellers advertising their products, it is a pretty competitive platform. From handicrafts to vintage items, Etsy deals in the sales of multiple products. There are over 2 million sellers on Etsy and over 35 million buyers. Big or small, all kinds of sellers can sell their products on Etsy. It is an ideal platform for new sellers. If you have your website, you can sell your products directly from it.
- Shopify has got the best business improvement tools. It is easy to use and allows you to keep track of the inventory system and customer order levels.
- From small to large, any type of business can efficiently operate on Shopify. It also lets you advertise your brand through different apps.
- You can sell almost all types of goods and services on this platform without any restrictions.
- Etsy is a vast marketplace where thousands of customers search for various products. So, you don’t have to bother about the marketing of your product.
- Selling your product on Etsy is as simple as setting up an account, uploading your product’s image, and marketing.
- Carrying out e-business on Etsy will not cost you as much as other platforms would.
- Unlike Amazon or Etsy, Shopify does not have a high search volume. Customers will have to search for your store, especially. So you have to make sure your advertising is robust. Otherwise, customers won’t know about your store.
- Shopify has a lot of apps to assist you in managing your store, but these apps keep on adding up, as a result, costing you the right amount.
- Etsy allows you to sell limited items. It only lets you deal with handicrafts and vintage products.
- Etsy does not let you create a reliable brand name. You can sell products with your logo, but you don’t have freedom over layout or branding.
- Etsy also charges fees from its sellers, which can have an impact on your sales.
Shopify makes it easy for you to sell your products without any issues. Shopify provides you all the powerful tools required to run an e-business. It is user-friendly, secure, and has everything you need. It helps you to manage your store and guides you through its comprehensive process of commencing an e-business. It may sound technical, but Shopify shows remarkable assistance in the whole process.
Etsy doesn’t require much when it comes to set up. Selling a product on Etsy is pretty straightforward. You only have to set up an account, enter the correct details, and select your store’s name, and that is it. Once your account sets up, you are ready to sell your product. You don’t have to create a unique site for your product. You can do it in just a few hours.
Shopify costs you as per the customizability and functionality. Overall, the pricing of the app will depend on the size of your business. You can choose from various payment options in Shopify.
- Basic Shopify – It will cost you $29 per month. It offers you an e-commerce website and blog. You can register unlimited products, record two accounts, avail anytime support, and selling.
- Shopify – It will cost you $79 per month. With the help of this, you can access to five staff accounts, gift cards, essential reports, low rates of credit card, and additional sales points.
- Advanced Shopify – It will cost you $299 per month. This master plan can avail you 15 staff accounts, a report builder, low rated of credit card, and calculated shipping rates of a third party.
If you see closely, then you will find that the monthly rate of Shopify is slightly higher than Etsy, but so is the level of features offered.
On Etsy, you have to pay 5% transaction fees and payment processing fees of 3% plus $0.25 on every item sold. Its prices are a bit higher than the standard payment processing fees.
Etsy will charge you when you sell any good on it, and if you are selling on a small scale, then your profit will see merely any impact. You can also purchase Etsy Plus for $10 per month to improve your account’s functionality.
Customizability and Construction
Nobody would like your website if your layout is not attractive. Shopify gives you access to more than 60 themes that you can select from, out of which 10 free, and 50 paid. These themes play a signicant role in covering a whole lot of products, from clothes to furniture. The themes that Shopify provides are customizable and modern-looking. You can also switch anytime. Some of them even have a zoom-in feature, which is excellent for a clothing store.
So if you are the one wishing to set up the store that you have full control over, you can consider Shopify. Just know that you should go for the theme that matches the purpose of your store.
Etsy, on the other hand, allows you to upload the logo of your choice. Many sellers see it as a significant disadvantage as they lose the ability to be distinct from others. In a way, Etsy does not let you create a reliable brand name. It does not allow you to customize the things, so your store will have to follow the layouts and design of Etsy.
Whereas, it is a boon for those who lack knowledge in web design. Your competitor’s site will have the same design as yours, so now the only thing you have to focus on is the quality of the product.
Domain and URL
People can find your website through the website address. URL is an integral part of your brand that makes your site unique.
Custom domains are an essential part of creating a reliable and professional brand. Shopify builds custom domains. It allows you to automate the setup and get the personalized name of your site. Therefore, it is ideal if you want to establish your brand name.
Etsy doesn’t allow you to use your domain as it is a marketplace. But Etsy Pattern Builder lets you connect your domain. It is an easy way to sell if you want to keep things simple or when you are not ready to run your website. It is an excellent way of selling without paying.
Tools and Traits
All of the Shopify Plans let you sell unlimited items without any restriction. You can make additions to your website and customize it with the help of the Shopify App Store. Some features of Shopify are:
- SEO tools
- Built-in blogs
- Gift cards
- Discount codes
- Fault analysis
- Inventory management tools
- SSL certificate
- Shopify POS (Point of Sale) app
If you want to grow your customer base and make their purchasing experience more accessible, then multichannel selling becomes essential. The SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) Certificate makes your site safe for customers to enter their payment details. The inventory system of Shopify makes it stand out. You can upload products in bulk at the same time, manage your stock, and analyze your sales.
Etsy provides you tools to boost your influence. It prepares you with an essential toolkit that has everything you need to run your store smoothly. These tools can help you grow your customer base.
Additionally, it allows you to manage coupons, share your store on social media platforms, and buy discounted postage labels. Upgrading to Etsy Plus gives you access to many other features like:
- Advertising credits
- Sending email alerts to notify customers
- Providing discounts on marketing materials
- Dealing on your domain name
These features are simple and not far-reaching for competitors.
Solution and Support
Shopify is available to help you any day of any hour of any minute. It supports you on various social media platforms. It helps you via emails, forums, and videos as well. With advanced Shopify plans, you can enjoy specialist support.
Shopify Help Center is easy to use. It provides you with articles and guides to solve your problems. Shopify has an active community of users that are satisfied with its service.
Etsy also has a Help Center that lays out the solution to your problems. You can join the community to discuss and ask questions. You can even mail your problem or call and ask for support from their team.
Shopify and Etsy are somewhat related but yet entirely different platforms. Shopify provides you with everything to become an ecommerce success. While it gives you unlimited tools and plans, Etsy is much simple and easy. Though, it comes with certain restrictions.
Overall, Shopify is a better platform to sell goods or services. It is a dedicated ecommerce platform that is well suited for both small and large businesses. So try Shopify’s 14 days free trial and check it out.